Re: Palladium

From: terry roth (terryroth@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/30/00-10:05:30 AM Z

> I just recently started to read up on Platnium and palladium processes and
> would like to know if there is a paper that anyone could suggest I try?
>
> thanks!
>
> emma

Emma, lots of papers will work for Plat/Palladium, I'm sure others on the
list will suggest them.. I have had best luck with Ziatype on Arches
Platine. It is a very expensive paper, though. Nearly as good for me (I use
the Puget Sound "filtered sun" to expose) is Fabbiano Uno, cold press, and
another nice paper with a more creamy tone is Bristol 90# cold press.
Platine ( a hot pressed paper) is very smooth and white, when you want more
texture you can use cold-press. If you have access to a Daniel Smith store,
you can try lots of different papers until you find one that gives you the
best results with the method that works best in your hands. Don't know if
you've tried kallitype or Van Dyke brown, but that's an inexpensive way to
learn coating, sun-exposure, etc. VDB can look a lot like palladium, but in
my hands the contrast is not very good, the highs tens to look a litttle
muddy compared to Zia/Pt.

Good Luck!

Ter