Re: Marker Paper

jason plunkett wrote:

> > Has anyone used Biaenfang 100% rag Translucent Marker Paper for gum, van
> dyke
> > or cyanotype? It's like using wet tissue but maybe someone has gotten nice
> > images with it.
>
> I have used, or should I say TRIED to use this paper for palladium printing.
> It is a wonderfull paper for capturing a smooth tone and sharp detail, but
> it's drawbacks keep me from using it.  It is just way too thin, and when
> wet, it will tear if you look at it wrong.  I also haven't found a good way
> to get it smooth as it dries, there were just too many wrinkles.

The paper the original author and yourself should try is Bienfang
Graphics 360 100% Rag Layout Paper (in pads of various sizes).  This
paper has incredible wet strength and is excellent for Pt/Pd.  When
picking it up from a tray, use two hands, one at each of two adjacent
corners.  This is one of my top paper choices and also a great paper for
beginners of the Pt/Pd process.

For multiple processing: preshink, then tape to glass or plastic sheet.

>From my Pt/Pd notes:
Excellent quality and substance with deep blacks and translucent whites.
Thin and very strong, even when wet.
Produces a very sharp image.
Tends to be slower and lower contrast, and has a very good printout.
Translucent, color of print may be changed by colored under mat.
Easy to coat, but be careful of wrinkling, does not need humidification.
Quick to dry, but let coating loose gloss, be careful not to puddle.
Finished prints tend to wrinkle with humidity.
Can be archival dry mounted.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/