Re: Scans

James,

One of my family members bought me a Umax 2200 (as a gift) about a month
ago such that I could scan directly from my 4 x 5 negs. I went through 6
different units in 7 days... each was returned due to the VERY bad light or
dark lines I was getting in each and every scan. I am not sure if this was
caused by vibration problems.... but I even went to the point of cutting a
piece of left-over carpeting to put under the unit... I tried placing a few
books on top to provide for some "mass"... to no avail.

At the request of the Umax support desk, I sent a 60k .jpg samples of least
case/worst case scans, but the only suggestion they could make was to
"reverse the SCSI cable end for end".

I returned the last unit with a strong belief that Umax needs to re-design,
take a good look at their quality control standards and find a better place
to manufacture these units.