Re: Censorship issues

Brian,

As chair of a fairly large department at a public university I am in
a position to interact on a fairly regular basis with university
counsel on matters relating to such things as grievances, EEOC
complaints, lawsuits against the university and even questions of
academic freedom. My personal opinion is that your suggestion that
this party seek a written opinion from the school's legal counsel
about the liability issue is a waste of time, because 1) it is highly
unlikely that legal counsel would write such a legal opinion for a
student, and 2 )any opinion issued would have as its purpose
protection of the institution, not the interests of the student.

In any event, Steve's advice is sound because there is no way a
student is going to be held liable for events ensuing from school
exhibition of a required academic activity.

Sandy King