Re: Censorship issues

In the 2000 MFA exhibit @ Fort Mason, a public pier, some of our students
created work that bordered upon the scatological. One example was a large
video of close-up of fellatio w/red lips, red dildoe and liquids. This
desensitized most who have been sensitized to Art and ultimately disturbed
many while always calling into question "what the heck is Art?"
Above the pier, on a perimeter balcony, is a Waldorf School and the teen
aged students who are aware of such elements in life requested  w/vehement
passion, that this absurd display (it was a video installation) be turned
away from their eyes because, frankly, they didn't enjoy it.

The Institute dealt with it as if it were any other piece of art yet asked
the creator to turn the monitors to one side so that the viewing would have
to be more private. She refused and this caused some disconsolation.
Ultimately it was resolved by building a small wall to fend off vision.

The point I'm making is that the school took the risk though many felt the
work was not pertinent to fine art espoused by the institution. They did
everything to allow the piece to be until public outcry called for 'cover
up.' Hence, in my mind, if the institution is forewarned of what will be
displayed it ought to ensure the exhibitor of no consequence from the
institution but to be prepared for public outcry. It is indeed in the eyes
of the beholder and I must admit there is a lot of shocking stuff Š maybe
banal and puerile is a better term Š going on in the Art world.
Jack