Re: AN EDUCATION IN REALITY?

>>That type of censorship bothers me the most,
>>especially coming from an art school.  I agree with you that I, as the
>>artist, should decide what images to show and therefore then face the
>>consequences of my actions.  I cannot very well stand up for free
speech and
>>freedom of censorship if they will not give me the opportunity.  And in
this
>>lies the real lesson in reality.

I believe in free speech, but to a point. I also believe that you have
the right to create and display, but with that comes responsibilities.
Yes, you will have to face the consequences of your actions; a battle
that has been fought almost since the beginning of time. The question is
does any artist have the right to show absolutely anything? To say yes,
knowing that it might offend people is not, in MY OPINION the purpose of
art. Some artists measure the success of their work by how many it
offends. I do not think this is right.

Do I have the absolute right to display anything, regardless of how it
affects people? No, certainly not. I can think of lots of possible images
that would offend absolutely everyone. I do not think I should be able to
show them, however.

Bob