Re: Censorship issues

In reference to the 'Sturges' issue in SF, in my mind it was not censorship
but racism.
Jock was one of our students. Darned excellent in his skills. First guy to
have CD's and listen to classical music etc. But, he had a young black
assistant bring his work to a lab (slides as I remember) and it was there
the problem started. I may well be over reacting here in such implication,
but perhaps if Jock had brought work in the lab might've said, nice work,
let me see more. You know how prurience is.

Too, in my mind, the trouble w/Mapplethorpe's work through Jesse Helms' eye
was also one of racism and not about censorship. Robert had bold images of
black man and white men and that troubles a lotta folk.

You might all remember a magazine in the 60's called Eros run by Ralph
Ginzberg (Ginzburg?sp) which was shut down due to Ralph Hattersley's images
of a black man and white woman naked an in embrace.

Censorship is often a name used to cover supposed morality's knife edge to
cut off the hand which feeds the mind.

Jack