Photo Chemicals (was: Re: WAY OFF TOPIC/..USAcentric..)

At 2000/10/26 12:24 AM -0700, Steve Shapiro wrote:
>Did anyone else see in the Film Developing Cookbook [chemicals list chart]
>that the chemicals in developers for HC 110, Rodinal and Amidol Film
>Developer are all benzine developers?

This is incorrect. "Benzine" is the common name for a liquid hydrocarbon
which is a constituent of fuel (like gasoline, petrol, etc.) and is an
aliphatic carbon compound, not at all related to "Benzene". All developers
are aliphatic carbon compounds, most of which are based on aniline, which
is a BENZENE derivative. Note that difference - benzene is the basic
building block for all so-called "aromatic" hydrocarbons, which includes
much of the food we need to survive, as well as all commercial dyestuffs.
Developing agents are dye derivatives (I won't go into the technicalities
of why this is, at this point) and if you are thinking toxic, yes, but then
large amounts of all chemicals are toxic, even sodium chloride, or common
salt. Some people have skin allergies to aniline derivatives, but they will
know that soon enough! Nitrile or other laboratory gloves are protection
against this (and so cheap it's silly not to use them - like ten cents
each). And just for you pyro fanatics, pyro is also a benzene derivative,
as is hydroquinone.

Steve, I'm surprised that you, a very knowledgeable photographer, would
introduce a subject that seems to indicate a dangerous condition. These
materials have existed for years, their pros and cons are well documented,
and I certainly wouldn't have thought you capable of using scare tactics.
Besides, make sure your terms are correct before airing them in public. Shame!

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net