Re: alternative processes.

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Bussey, Linda wrote:
> One interesting discovery I have found is that the atl process
> movement ( or Post-Factory as Judy Seigel's excellent mag calls it) is
> stronger in America than the UK. I wonder why? I was disappointed to
> hear that the Photo-Historica conference due to have taken place in
> Bath England this Oct was cancelled due to low numbers. This kind of
> shattered my research so far and made me question whether or not there
> is actually a resurgence , in the UK at any rate.

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the alt-photo list, and needless to say thanks for the kind
words and excellent judgement in periodicals... For all its gloss of
science, as you will notice, the alt photo list is humbly human, and
despite its vicissitudes, one of the jewels of the internet these several
years.

As for "alt" in the UK, do you know Peter Fredrick (School of
Temperaprint), Mike Ware (invented & reinvented several iron processes),
Dennis Klinker, Dallas Simpson, Dennis Fielding, Keith Dugdale, Liam
Lawless, Tony McClean -- those are the names come immediately to mind, &
apologies to those I forgot on the fly.

Keith Dugdale incidentally started an Alternative Photo Processes Review
out of Penzance (I think it was) at least a year before Post-Factory,

And you do need to know,if you don't already, one of the best "alt"
books in English: "Spirits of Salts," by England's own Randall Webb with
Martin Reed (of the famed Silverprint source in London). The illustrations
are an education in themselves.

It occurs to me though, that in the matter of national interest in "alt"
per capita, there's plenty in the Netherlands, also France, n'est-ce pas?
There were tentative plans for an alt-photo convention in Germany for next
year, but I gather they faltered. It's an enormous undertaking, more
feasible with serious institutional support.

best,

Judy