spotting van dykes

Gumprint@aol.com
Date: 09/06/00-07:45:44 AM Z

Greetings

First, it is m-u-r-k-y, no "e."
And yes, it is better to strain the "murk" out with a little cheesecloth in
the bottom of a funnel. I tried the solution both ways and the "murk" causes
weird spotting that varies from beige to a sort of orange color. But, that's
my formula and I use oxalic acid, not tartaric acid. I'll leave that to you
chemists on the list.

My next question is how to spot a van dyke. I have an "oops" on one otherwise
lovely print. I considered a second (selective application) of the emulsion
on the offending area after using a step wedge to determine exposure or to
touch it up with watercolor. Seeing this now in print, the later seems
ridicules but I'll toss it out to the list and see how you all respond. Maybe
someone has come up with a workable solution.

thanks for you advice in advance
-Carole