Re: spotting van dykes

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 09/08/00-08:28:36 PM Z

If one buys the complete set of 6 bottles of Spotone, it is very easy to
match any shade of brown in a vandyke with combinations of the two browns
and the neutral gray that come in the set. I don't exhibit vandykes but my
students do successful spotting of them this way. I use Spotone for my
cyanotype/gum prints when I have to but keep it to a minimum. I used to use
Primacolor and Derwent pencils but was upset to see that when a work that
was spotted that way was exhibited with light coming from the ceiling, the
difference in texture between the pencil and the gum emulsion was glaringly
apparent. I like the way Spotone absorbs into the paper and doesn't leave a
ring the way I think watercolor might. I know that Spotone is a dye and
might change a little over time. That is not too much of a worry with my
prints since I don't do more than a couple of pin points of spotting that
could shift without making a big difference but it might be an issue with
extensive spotting on vandykes. Perhaps others will have comments on the
permanence of Spotone.

Sarah Van Keuren