Re: Three-color gum prints

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/06/00-09:12:27 PM Z

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, lva wrote:

> Hello gum printers,
>
> I would like to create full color gum prints, and so far thought about
> in-pinhole-camera separation. But that's a tricky process. The camera
> should not be moved when changing the film holders.
>
> But now I just got another idea. I could expose an 8x10" color slide
> film in the pinhole camera, cross-process it in C-41, and then use it as
> the negative for the gum print. For each gum print exposure I'd put a
> different filter (RGB) on top of the negative in the vacuum frame.
>
> Would this work? Are filters such as Wratten 25 available in 8x10"?

My guess would be that if available they'd be quite expensive, meaning an
outlay for a process you're not entirely sure would work. But theatrical
lighting gels in very similar colors would (I believe) be much cheaper.
The companies put out sample books, you might borrow a tripack for color
sep from someone & find the closest by comparison.

It's also possible that you could simply BRACE the camera. That is, fasten
it into position so it wouldn't move.... or at least try that for
starters.... especially since you can register the seps by eye... noodle
them in case there's been a bit of wiggle in the position of slide holder.

Judy