xtol developer dilution

From: Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Date: 09/11/00-06:11:25 PM Z

Please excuse in advance if you are on both lists that I have posted this
question to (pure silver, also)

Help! I need your input on this: you know, when Kodak developed Xtol, they
found out there was a problem with diluting: that is, you need to have 100
ml (3.5 oz) Xtol PER ROLL of film in the tank in order to properly develop
the film, and thus, when using a 16 oz tank and doing two rolls of film, a
1:3 dilution (which the other photo faculty in my dept recommend) is
technically impossible, you see? It would require 200 ml Xtol, and 600 ml
water or 800 ml/28 oz. for a 1:3 dilution and there, of course, is not 28
oz. in the tank. Otherwise, Kodak says, you get underdevelopment. I called
Kodak on this and they agree with what I say; however, I think I prefer
experienced photographers' opinions on this issue also.
    My question is, does anyone have experience with Xtol, how do you dilute
it, do you find 1:3 in a small tank works fine, if it does result in
underdevelopment how have you compensated in time for that, etc etc??
     I have seen a couple posts on Xtol, one person just lately said they
used full strength Xtol, another at 1:1, which are the two choices I would
tell my students. Am I correct in this or is 1:3 (against what Kodak says)
OK?
Chris