Re: xtol developer dilution

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/12/00-08:12:58 PM Z

Just before his new book, "The Film Developing Handbook", came out
I happened to have a discussion with Steve Anchell about film and
developers. He recommended to me Ilford FP4 and Xtol 1:3. I did
some comparison tests with T-Max film and T-Max and D76 developers and
became convienced that the combination Steve recommended could not
be improved on. Subsequently I purchased his book and read the details
which are concerned with agitation and variation in developing times
for 35mm, roll and sheet film.

I have used all three films types in small, medium and large tanks
with great success. I am very pleased with the results. I have also
used HP5 with Xtol with excellant results.

I would strongly recommend Steve's book. Its a good read and contains
a plethora of development tables to fit almost and film and developer
in a number of different dilutions.

Of course I am talking about "normal" negatives not negatives for
alternative process printing. For those I also favor Ilford films
but use pyro and amidol developers as well as, D23 two bath.

Hope this helps,

Bob Schramm