Re: Tutti Nudi

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 09/13/00-08:10:42 PM Z

>On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Judy Seigel wrote:
>

>Folks, let it puleeze be noted that I wanted to talk about cowboys, not
>naked ladies... OK?

Gee, Judy, every time this subject has come up in the last five years
you had something to say. During all that time I never broached the
subject. Now that I ask you a few simple questions about naked woman
you want to talk about *cowboys*.

But Sandy, are you being disingenuous? Snip snip snip
>(Though for some reason we don't seem to see a lot of film
>burned on bowls of fruit, bowls of fruit in the woods, bowls of fruit in
>the desert, bowls of fruit with arched backs simulating orgasm on a bed of
>sand or floor of an empty studio, or wherever).

Not at all. You expressed an opinion about nude photography and I
asked you some legitimate questions about the subject. And you are
wrong about the fruit thing!!!. In my research of Pictorialism I have
looked at thousands of pictures of bowls of fruit and vegetables,
fruit and vegetables in the house, fruit and vegetables on the
patio, fruit and vegetables strewn on the beach, large containers of
rotting fruit and vegetable, etc. Granted I have not seen any bowls
of fruit simulating orgasms, though Weston's peppers appear to be in
foreplay. On the other hand, pictorial representations of nudes are
rare.

>What's harmful to "women" generally is the
>consistent portrayal of women in this eroticized role. The intro to
>my P-F #2 review of Bill Jay's "Occam's Razor" may suggest the gist:

I read that. So it is portrayal of women as symbols of eroticism that
you find harmful to women?

>Meanwhile, I had occasion to walk into Soho this afternoon (a fruitless
>quest, Staples is pure nightmare, but that's a different rant) and passed
>a bookstore with some Helmut Newtons in the window. Now THOSE are naked
>babes. Power babes !

Newton's naked women are power babes? Sure they are, as are all those
naked babes having sex on leather covered back seats of the master's
Rolls Royce!! And is not Newton's work truly the ultimate stereotype
of erotic woman, stripped of all attributes of what is a woman but
the requirement that she yield to male power? And of course in this
case, a perversion ordered and arranged by the person that is
Newton's wife.

Regards,

Sandy