Re: Tutti Nudi

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/14/00-11:36:42 AM Z

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Sandy King wrote:

> ..So it is portrayal of women as symbols of eroticism that
> you find harmful to women?

As a "neutral art convention"? Of course. But you dismay me, Sandy. You
*notice* (with a hint of reproach?) that I've been explaining my little
heart out about this for years, but your question shows how utterly I've
failed. What can I say, except, sorry !? I'll try to do better next time.

> Newton's naked women are power babes? Sure they are, as are all those
> naked babes having sex on leather covered back seats of the master's
> Rolls Royce!!

Well if you don't see the difference between those power babes and the
bimbos "having sex' on the back seat of a Roll's Royce, if I had any sense
I'd save my breath... tho I feel compelled to at least suggest another
look. I agree with Chris, incidentally, that that's not a world we'd want
to inhabit for very long (but Chris, how many worlds of art are -- except
Norman Rockwell). To spell it out, aside from the originality and piquancy
of the image (Newton's), there's its honesty. The *context* in which art
is presented is always an important component. The "we're artists just
interested in form and texture" is the issue, or much of it (the "neutral-
art-convention" convention). And I'll add again what I've said many times
-- I don't object to porn, soft, hard or medium -- just truth in packaging
please.

> .. And is not Newton's work truly the ultimate stereotype
> of erotic woman, stripped of all attributes of what is a woman but
> the requirement that she yield to male power? And of course in this
> case, a perversion ordered and arranged by the person that is
> Newton's wife.

As I, imperfect person tho I am, read Newton, he utterly trashes the
stereotype, grinds it under the heel of those size 12 stilettoes. And if
any naked females commited to film do NOT "yield to male power" it would
be those. But I apparently lack sensibility all the way around, because I
also missed the "perversion".... unless powerful female is... ??? Or
power wife is... or ??? Well, if we're going to set up battling
perversions, I'll pit Edward Weston's naked babe face down spread-legged
in the sand (oi ! in sand!!) against any Newton on film, and beat you by a
mile. And if I get to throw in the *hypocrisy,* I win the farm !

But, alas, I've said all that before, too...

best,

Judy