Re: Tutti Nudi

From: Maria T. Olmedo (mariato@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/14/00-09:33:29 PM Z

Dear List:

I've been lurking on this list for about a year and have truly enjoyed all
discussions on all the topics. I a relatively new to photography, and I
know I have a lot to learn technically, etc. but, just a couple of questions
and comments about the recent thread. (I know y'all could hear the but
coming):

on 9/13/00 9:10 PM, Sandy King at sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu wrote:

> And is not Newton's work truly the ultimate stereotype
> of erotic woman, stripped of all attributes of what is a woman but
> the requirement that she yield to male power? And of course in this
> case, a perversion ordered and arranged by the person that is
> Newton's wife.

And, why exactly is June Newton at fault? And what is Helmut Newton's role?

In my opinion, it seems that the women in Helmut Newton's editorial
photographs are empowered by being pictured as physically strong, and if one
looks, they are very much individuals. They look as if they aren't going to
yield to anything they don't want to, even if they are naked. Perhaps,
here, Mr. Newton has tapped into a female fantasy.