Re: Back-saver suggestions?

From: Peter McDonald (Peter.McDonald@afp.gov.au)
Date: 09/14/00-08:00:56 PM Z

Matthew:

I use both a Wisner Technical Field, and a Nagaoka Field, both in 4x5. The Nagaoka weighs just over 2.5 lbs, and has most movements. The combination of this little camera (bellows extension 300mm) and a tiny Schneider 90mm Angulon keeps the weight under 3 lbs. And I am sure that some of the Zeiss Protars (if you can get your hands on one) are also tiny.

Things start to bulk up when you add tripod and film holders, but others have suggested the carbon fibre Gitzo, which is a beautiful, if somewhat expensive, tripod.

I backpacked around NZ a few years ago with this combination (plus a smallish 210 Symmar), plus all my camping gear. But for your purposes, I would think that the Nagaoka, a small 90/150/210 lens, a few holders, dark cloth, and lightweight tripod , should still come out not much more than 10 lbs. Alternatively, you could get a Graflock back and a 120 film holder from Horseman, instead of the 4x5 film holders.

I think the Tachihara is not much heavier than the Nagaoka, similiar bellows extension and movements, but probably more available.

Good luck with this. I also have a bad back, courtesy of a bulged disk, so I have to be fairly careful as well.

Best wishes

Peter McDonald.

                                WARNING

This email message and any attached files may contain information
that is confidential and subject of legal privilege intended only for
use by the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you
are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient be advised that you
have received this message in error and that any use, copying,
circulation, forwarding, printing or publication of this message or
attached files is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the
information contained therein. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your
InBox.

AFP Web site: http://www.afp.gov.au