Back-saver suggestions?

From: lva (lva@pamho.net)
Date: 09/14/00-04:54:58 PM Z

Matthew Hoffman wrote:

> My back and I could sorely use some advice:
> I've recently had back surgery--not the first, unfortunately--and
> I find I can't manage the combined weight of a 4x5 Wisner, heavy Ries
> tripod, and the rather remarkable poundage of assorted lenses.
> I'm not very familiar with other products, ancient or modern,
> that are out there. Can anyone suggest lighter 4x5s and smaller lenses
> that would satisfy? I'm not hiking mountains, but a lighter system
> that I can carry in a shoulder bag would make traipsing the streets of
> Philadelphia a bit easier. I don't need extensive camera movements,
> but I'd hate to give up all front rise/fall and rear swing and tilt.
> I have medium-format cameras, but I'd like to keep using 4x5 if I can
> get the weight down.
> Thanks! Off to take an aspirin...

Hi Matthew,

My heart goes out to you. I hope you'll be better soon.

Two things come to mind:

1) You could switch to pinhole photography. With a little creativity
you'll build a super-lightweight 4x5" camera. Combined with a Gitzo
carbon tripod you'd have a VERY inexpensive yet very versatile system.
And if you're into large format, even an 8x10" would weigh in at a
fraction of what you're carrying now.

2) Another approach might be the new Linhof. You may want to check out
http://www.linhof.net/linhof/M679_1.htm I've seen that beauty and
played with it -- just remarkable. What a design and functionality. You
have all the movements you can imagine. Okay, it's not 4x5, but hey,
with today's films you can live with a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4" format, or? Plus,
you can switch to digital anytime. If I were into lens photography and
enlargements, this would be my camera.

Greetings

Brahma