RE: Back-saver suggestions?

From: Rick Moore (rickm@gethen.com)
Date: 09/14/00-08:36:57 PM Z

Matthew Hoffman wrote:

> My back and I could sorely use some advice:
> I've recently had back surgery--not the first, unfortunately--and
> I find I can't manage the combined weight of a 4x5 Wisner, heavy Ries
> tripod, and the rather remarkable poundage of assorted lenses.
> I'm not very familiar with other products, ancient or modern,
> that are out there. Can anyone suggest lighter 4x5s and smaller lenses
> that would satisfy? I'm not hiking mountains, but a lighter system
> that I can carry in a shoulder bag would make traipsing the streets of
> Philadelphia a bit easier. I don't need extensive camera movements,
> but I'd hate to give up all front rise/fall and rear swing and tilt.
> I have medium-format cameras, but I'd like to keep using 4x5 if I can
> get the weight down.
> Thanks! Off to take an aspirin...

Since 1978, I have been using the following kit for most of my work. I
have one of the original model Tachihara 4x5's (serial #22), a Nikkor
90mm f8, a Symmar MC 180, four Riteway film holders, a Soligar spot
meter, a couple of filters, a Kenko gelatin holder with four or five
gelatins, a dark cloth, and a small level. I carry this all in a medium
model Tenba bag, the old orange one with two external pockets on the
side, but no end pockets. I use a cut-down Kodak 18% gray card as a
ground glass protector. I just put the bag on the scale and it weighs
in at 13 pounds.

Add to this a Gitzo Studex 3 series tripod (with non-geared column) and
Gitzo ball head, that I carry in my hand. While not as light as the
newer carbon fiber models, I also didn't have to take out a second
mortgage to buy it and it's still several pounds lighter than even the
lightest Ries. It's not only a very good platform for the camera, I
also once used it to smash the arm of a young man who tried to grab my
camera bag in downtown Chicago. Didn't put a mark on the tripod, but
really discouraged him from hassling me any further.