What makes photography art

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 09/25/00-11:53:29 AM Z

Pretty slow on the list recently - maybe a discussion of what makes
photography art or "fine art" will liven things up????

As you may recall I have been working on a web site for use as a substitute
portfolio and gallery. During that process, several interesting methods of
conveying an image were utilized/attempted. Of course, all of the
techniques were digital in nature - however, they all could be applied to a
final image, be it alt, silver or color.

I am about to order my first 16X20 digital image (LightJet) and am
considering applying some/one of the techniques I stumbled upon during the
site development. For the purpose of discussion on this subject and this
post, I put the following page together. BTW the site is not quite done.

http://www.mcn.org/k/nick/Pages/09discussion.html

  Image 'A' is the original image complete with the burned out highlights -
pretty much like the original piece.

  Image 'B' is simply the same image with a torn edge affect.

  Image 'C' is the original image with sepia toning, dubbed highlights, and
a diffusion mask aka faded edges (you see watercolors done with lots of
white space).

  Image 'D' is the same as image 'C', but with torn edges.

I don't mean to imply that any of these styles create the basis for turning
photos into fine art. On the contrary, it is my goal to learn from your
inputs and methods and to listen carefully to the comments regarding these
images.

So, what does make a photo become fine art.

Many thanks,

Nick