Re: applying images to ceramics

This is as easy as falling off a log. I used to do this, and helped
create a ceramic mural for the lobby floor of an office building. I used
dichromate based emulsions containing ceramic pigments. The emulsion is
mixed and applied. After drying, the tiles were exposed to UV and
developed in water, leaving the image as glaze which was then fired.

This was 20 years ago, but as I recall, we took a duplicate negative that
was 10 x 24, cut it up into 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 inch sections and enlarged
those to 10 x 10 or 10 x 12 or some such size, which were contact printed
to prepared tiles individually. The result was a very large image.

The problem was in finding someone who was willing to work to our
specifications and leave the building where the kiln was located. As this
emulsion was fired, it emits a highly toxic gas.

The advantages to cutting the negatives up and enlarging them is you
could make a ceramic piece hundreds of feet wide or long, but you only
need a small work space..

B.

PS: There are many formulas out there to do this.