Re: to mat or not..

At 07:27 04.04.01 -0400, you wrote:
>This brings up an interesting point. What is the current state of thinking
about
>dry mounting pt/pd and other alt process prints? Recent tests with GSP
suggest
>that dry mounting actually improves archival stability. What do you folks
>think/do with your prints?
>
>Guy
>
>Steve Shapiro wrote:
>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rosae Reeder"
>> Subject: Re: to mat or not..

>> > important as the print..NO WAY!...
>> >
>> > I think it is a matter of preference..I do not overmat my prints and when
>> > framing them, often leave the edges visible because I do feel that my
>> > brushstrokes are an important part of my prints.
>> >
>> > I feel the same about my non photographic prints..I always frame them
with
>> > the edges of the paper showing..float framed because I feel that the
>> border
>> > around the print is and can be a part of the image area. Paper is
>> important
>> > to the print. No matter whether an image is overmatted or not..that
border
>> > becomes part of the vision area..ie, color of the mat, width of the
>> border,
>> > texture etc.
>> >
>> > finally, I guess it all boils down to preference. I appreciate the fact
>> that
>> > some people include the border as part of their image area. Some
amazingly
>> > serendipidous things can be discovered in the borders.
>> >
>> Recent articles by master photographers who write into our photo journals
>> have give great accolades to this.  In fact, Vestal described a show of
>> photographs displayed in box frames where the pictures were presented as
>> artifacts in themselves.
>>
>> I too have that feeling about the whole piece of paper as the photograph.
>>
>> S. Shaprio, Carmel

I was told once that "all professionals coat with the brush" - as against
the rod which, while saving money with processes using precious metals,
does not produce such an attractive splatter border.
This was an instigation to me to stick to the rod. If something makes me
uneasy it is to be told to do "like professionals do". First and foremost,
practicing alternative processes is for me to emphasize personal decision
and judgement. This is all I can say about matting or not matting, except:
a picture dull when matted probably does not much improve with the splatter
border exposed.

Lukas