Re: to mat or not..

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rosae Reeder"
Subject: Re: to mat or not..

> important as the print..NO WAY!...
>
> I think it is a matter of preference..I do not overmat my prints and when
> framing them, often leave the edges visible because I do feel that my
> brushstrokes are an important part of my prints.
>
> I feel the same about my non photographic prints..I always frame them with
> the edges of the paper showing..float framed because I feel that the
border
> around the print is and can be a part of the image area. Paper is
important
> to the print. No matter whether an image is overmatted or not..that border
> becomes part of the vision area..ie, color of the mat, width of the
border,
> texture etc.
>
> finally, I guess it all boils down to preference. I appreciate the fact
that
> some people include the border as part of their image area. Some amazingly
> serendipidous things can be discovered in the borders.

Recent articles by master photographers who write into our photo journals
have give great accolades to this.  In fact, Vestal described a show of
photographs displayed in box frames where the pictures were presented as
artifacts in themselves.

I too have that feeling about the whole piece of paper as the photograph.

S. Shaprio, Carmel