Re: old film

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Fulton" <jefulton1@home.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 8:47 AM
Subject: old film

> I still work w/ lith film from either 1948 or 1958. Whatever. It is old.
> It is also darned fogged but I can toss in a little benzotriazole or Pot.
> Bromide and it'll do.
> Paper?
> Went to my local store just 'tuther day. Am working w/Halochrome to
> 'silver' the image. Wanted to try the newish Ilford cold tone RC gloss
which
> works wonders w/Halochrome.
> Also grabbed a box of 11 14 Kodak RC gloss. Got to the counter and they
> said, pointing a small coded number, "Aha, this is paper from 1988! Most
> likely it is not any good any more. Here, we'll give it to you." That is
one
> of the joys of purchasing from your local store. I've now tested it and
> cannot . .  repeat, cannot . . tell any difference. I think the storage is
> important.
> jack fulton

Yeah, storage is important.

I bought a 1915 Cirkut camera that was stored in a garage in Santa Monica
for ten years with (ten year-old film) some Kodak Vericolor with which I
made a great picture; and now the 'good old boys' who have gotten wind of my
success are selling their ten year plus old film are charging big bucks for
it.

Stored in a garage in Santa Monica, I repeat.  The problem is less storage
than letting too many people know it's still good ... keeps the price
reasonable.  Free's good.

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA