Re: applying images to ceramicsWARNING

My own experience in small-studio ceramics is some 25 years old, but my
mother was a "serious amateur" who not only kept a couple of kilns going
in house and garage, but subscribed to the magazines and books of the
trade, which I read.

My recollection is that MANY of the glaze materials were more hazardous
than residue of dichromate, iron chromate may have been, uranium was
common (& not all that hazardous in that form, as I recall), lead in
particular was popular, just then being phased out for eating utensils...
Awareness was growing -- about glazes whose names I forget now. In time,
as we see, such warnings can take on a life of their own, so that the
content is lost in the affect. (Note, that's ah-fect, meaning feeling, not
eh-fect meaning result, though the ah-fect is an effect as well, often as
not.)

I recently read an article in NY Times about home air pollution -- the
stuff we put into our air at home deliberately that's supposed to be GOOD
-- like "air fresheners" -- but have harmful ingredients. Wish I could
remember the title, but that gave me pause.  When I went to the gym that
afternoon there was a funny smell, and immediately they got out the spray
of "air freshener."  I arose to protest like Horatio at the gate. (It
doesn't remove the other stuff, just adds something else.)

As for the "Hazards" books... they have so little sense of proportion
they're worse than useless for our purposes... but, uh oh, I repeat
myself, sorry about that.

Judy