Re: platinum/palladium coating

Sarah Van Keuren wrote:
> I have often wondered how the commercially marketed Palladio paper was
> useable after being kept for long periods of time. Also the cyanotype paper
> that is sold in little squares for children.

In my opinion it wasn't.
Also it was suspected that the Palladio coated paper contained a lead
salt as well.  Perhaps this made it "work" for them (who knows?).  I had
never been convinced that this product was worth their price (or any
price) even after observing them demonstrate their product.  I will have
to say that I did see some good prints from one photographer at APIS '99
using this product, but I have also seen many prints from many others
that just could not compare to a true Pt/Pd coating.

Cyanotype is another process.  But, if one desired to make a demo
project for some "quick and dirty" fun, they could pre coat Pt/Pd.  It
will produce an image.  Just do not expect the results to come close to
what a "fresh" coating can provide.  A cute conversation demo might be
to place a negative and coated (POP might work best) sheet on a table
while talking about the process (nothing on the paper, show them), then
later lift the paper and, as if by magic, an image.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/