Re: old cameras and personal film speed

Tom wrote:

>Yup, spending $60 on a CLA for a $40 Lubitel is....... well you know.  So,
>there is another Lubitel user here!  Great little piece of plastic.  I liked
>mine so much I ripped out the taking lens and put a zone plate into it.
>Great fun with color film.  Loud, almost psychedelic, prints.  Old and funky
>cameras can lead us into some interesting images.

What is a zone plate?  I actually had a lot of trouble with color with it.
I couldn't get the exposure right--a lot of them were over or underexposed.
A friend of mine with a Diana-like camera has the same problem.  Her black
and white images are ok but the color ones aren't.  But I love the fact
that it's so light weight, for carrying around.  If you drop it in a creek,
no big deal.  Also I like looking down into the camera.  Taking pictures of
people is better that way--they don't grin into the camera; they just go
about their regular business.

In regard to film speed:  I measured the negatives I processed yesterday,
and the shadows are still too dense, although not by as much. I guess I am
still over-exposing.  So my normal film speed for silver and my normal film
speed for alt-process (in this case cyanotypes and palladium) will be
different, I guess.  Hey, that's what everybody's been telling me! I
finally get it!

--shannon