when to cut bait

Jeffrey wrote:

>I really suspect that you are confused.  It seems you have tried
>measuring densities but have not really tried printing the negatives.

Last night I came to the same conclusion: the thing is just to make some
prints with these negatives and see what happens. Yesterday the box came
from bostick and sullivan with a cyanotype kit and a palladium kit, so I
processed six of these old negatives for twelve minutes just to see what
would happen. And maybe today I can print one.

I made some of the negatives last October, and somebody told me not to keep
them unprocessed for more than about six months, so I want to process them
asap. I wonder what others on this list think about holding unprocessed
negatives for several months?

>I have also surmised from your posts that you are trying to learn a new
>printing process and (it seems simultaneously) recover some work from
>negatives that may have been processed to less quality than that
>desired.

The negatives have not been processed yet. I shot most of them intending to
print them in silver gelatin, but then I got sick from the unventilated
darkroom at my university, and I had to quit using the silver darkroom.  I
decided that when I got well, I would print them alt-process, because it's
easier to make an alt process workspace at home that is well ventilated,
since it doesn't have to be absolutely dark.  I am processing the negatives
in a daylight tank at home.

If I process them for silver, as they were originally intended, maybe I
will be able to print them in the future at the university if they fix the
darkroom, which they are supposed to, but I have learned not to count on
such things. I guess eventually I could set up a silver darkroom at home
but it may be a while.

>Another possibility is to is to ditch the old work (like cutting bait)
>and move on to new work with a fresh begining.  I have done this many
>times.  It is a good way to mature in one's work.  Is the main purpose
>to master photography or be historian of some treasure trove?

Well, these negatives are special to me, and like all negatives are in a
sense irreplaceable, but I could make them over, and I would like to make
some new ones with a better understanding of the process I'm making them
for.

In the meantime I decided to go ahead and develop six of them last night
just to see what they look like printed. Maybe they will be fine.  It is
possible that I was being too obsessive about the densities of the
different zones on the negative, under the influence of some of the books
I've read.

--shannon