APIS 2001

It seems like a good time to post a reminder about APIS 2001. Registrations
have suddenly been coming in at a pretty fast clip and I think we will be
sold out by June 1. We have room for 200 attendees. It will be at St John's
College which is 3 miles from the plaza up in the foothills of the Sangre
De Cristo mountains. It's kind of an interesting setting. St John's is a
classical college. No electives, everyone takes the same courses in the
same order. Everyone learns Greek and Latin, reads Homer... you get the
picture. Quite a place for us retro's.

APIS is the Alternative Photographic International Symposium, this being
the third formal biannual APIS event. The first APIS was at the Royal
Photographic Society in Bath England, the last one was in Santa Fe in 1999.
The 1999 event was by all estimations the largest gathering of hand process
photographers ever. This year promises to be bigger.

The symposium is a series of lectures on various aspects of alternative
photography. There are no hands-on workshops.

APIS is part of PhotoArts Santa Fe 2001, a 10 day city-wide photography
festival sponsored the Santa Fe Arts Council. There will be lots of other
photographic things to do while you are in Santa Fe. There are close to 100
lectures, exhibitions, workshops, seminars and other events that are part
of PhotoArts Santa Fe. Melody Bostick is the Project Director of PhotoArts
Santa Fe. Site Santa Fe, the big international art biannual is also
happening at the same time and, oh, I forgot to mention the world class
Santa Fe Opera! For more information see:

http://www.photoartssantafe.com

to register for APIS 2001:

Call 505-474-0890 or visit:
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/APIS2001/welcome.htm

Always subject to change. The Calendar of presentations At APIS 2001 at
this time:

A PhotoArts Santa Fe 2001
St. John's College
Santa Fe, New Mexico
July 12, 13, 14, 2001

Dorm rooms are available.

Ernestine Ruben will be our honored guest this year and will do a
retrospective on her work in alt photography and paper making.

Hans Bjelkhagen will do a segment on Lippmann Photography. Huh? I saw it
last fall in England and still don't believe it. Dr. Bjelkhahen has
modernized Lippmann's 1908 Nobel Prize winning venture into color
photography. BTW, it's the only Nobel ever awarded for photographic
research. (Dr. Land was forever ignored.) Lippmann was able to make and
view full color photographs by using a single black and white emulsion on a
piece of glass. One exposure and no filters! (Right, and little green
fairies from the black forest helped him do it.) Jesus Lopez one of Hans's
students is expected to bring a very large Lippmann plate (I think it is 20
x 24) to the Symposium!

Sandy King is doing a segment on carbon printing.

Bill Winkler on palladium on glass. and plastic

Art Chaklis on his explorations into the Fresson process.

Howard Efner on Sodium Chloroplatinate as a contrast agent in pt/pd printing.

Willis Lee on photogravure

Stuart Melvin in gum over platinum.

An educator's forum

Gene Laughter and the bromoil gang again.

Bob Herbst on pyro film development

James Hajicek on collotype, a photo printmaking process that rivals
copperplate gravure.

Meridel Rubenstein on her super large photo inkjet multimedia works.

And time to show your work to others and network.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Cheers.

--Dick Sullivan