Clearing part of a water color

Pardon the somewhat off Alt topic, but I know that some of you do water
color.

A few years ago, I commissioned a 30X40 water color and for a myriad of
reasons almost ended up with what I asked for.  In particular, the top 1/3
of the piece (the sky) is wretched.  I took the piece outside (mounted on a
plywood backing), turned it upside down and gently hosed/brushed the area in
question.  What remains actually looks much better the the original.

My goal is to further clear the affected area and to have the sky repainted
by a local artist.  This is a job that several have declined.  My thought is
that if I can clear the paper more fully, I might be more successful in
finding the artist for the job.

My question is, how would one clear/soften the remaining (though much more
subtle) hard ines.  More brushing may abraid the surface beyound usefulness
and the wrong chemistry will definitely affect the new painting.

Check it out - http://www.mcn.org/K/NICK/badsky.jpg  Keep in mind that I
have altered the contrast to bring out the hard lines that I'm referring to.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

Nick

"Your Image is Our Business"