small will be beautiful again someday

Dick wrote:

> Serious collectors buy prints to mostly put in drawers. Beginning
> collectors buy to hang on walls. Small prints don't do well on the wall.

This must be true if you have a huge house with huge rooms. I think small
prints look fine in a house of modest size.  Also, Elton John has some small
prints. He displays them salon-style, with lots of framed prints on one
wall.  I  think his apartment in Atlanta is pretty big, but it is more like
a warren of a lot of normal size rooms than like the huge houses with huge
rooms you see in sunbelt suburbs.

Vicki Goldberg did make a good point:  she said that everything is getting
bigger, houses, cars, etc.  I read in the NY times today that the average
house now being built is 3,000 sq feet. This is a trend that was attributed
to the long boom of the 90s.   But surely the tide will turn when the
economy contracts again and energy becomes expensive again: houses will get
smaller and cars will get smaller.  Maybe even photographs will get smaller.

--shannon