Re: arrowroot

----- Original Message -----
From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 8:47 PM
Subject: arrowroot
  Judy wrote:

> There is (or used to be) a bland biscuit for babies called Arrowroot
> cookies. Also a pudding called arrowroot pudding, which isn't the same as
> tapioca pudding: tapioca makes a bubbly custard -- the traditional "fish
> eyes and glue," as we used to call it at camp. The boiled custard (blanc
> mange ?) is smooth.
>
> My ancient Joy of Cooking fails to give a recipe for arrowroot pudding,
> but says under "Substitutions" that "2 teaspoons arrowroot equals 1-3/4
> tablespoons flour when used for thickening purposes." I bought arrowroot
> in a gourmet health food store, and if such exists in Germany maybe they'd
> have it too.
>
> HOWEVER, in my experience those ingredient changes ever give the stated
> color changes anyway.  For another example, the books say a borax rinse
> or 1st developer makes purple VDB. Never happened here, not even a twinge.

Hi Judy. I' ve always said I get most of my alt.proc supplies from a grocery
store. Arrowroot here is an alternative form of starch. It is used for
thickening sauces and fruit juices. Arrowroot biscuits are for children from
upper class homes. The best reference I know is James Reilly in The Albumen
and Salted Paper book. He describes the making of matte albumen paper with
it. Somewhere - I forget where I saw that arrowroot from the Carribean gives
a different colour to salt print to that produced in Europe. But then I
didn't know they produced it in Europe anyway.  Rgds Randall Webb