Re: Soemarko LC-1 Failure of solution A ingredients to dissolve.

At 09:40 AM 08/28/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>John,
>
>Next to Gordons good suggestion to use distilled water you might try to
>start with adding a pinch of the sulphite first to the water and then
>the metol. This can help dissolving the metol (if that one is the
>problem)
>
>Best,
>
>Cor

   I am not sure of this. Metol will not dissolve in a sulfite solution. My
understanding is that the purpose of dissolving a little sulfite first is
that it tends to absorb the dissolved oxygen in the water preventing the
immediate oxidation of some of the Metol. The idea is that the amount of
sulfite is not enough to make the solution of the Metol more difficult.
   I think perhaps the solution might be helped by keeping the water hot
(125F) or by the addition of a little EDTA (not sure how much).
   Even if distilled water is available its helpful to boil it and let it
cool before using it to mix solutions. The boiling tends to drive off
dissolved gasses. For tap water boiling also precipitates some minerals and
cooks and precipitates any organic matter. Three minutes is enough.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com