Re: registering paper negatives

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 02/01/01-08:39:47 AM Z

In a message dated 1/27/01 9:21:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jseigel@panix.com writes:

<< I tried many times, didn't work. The negative and the paper seem to go out
 of sync from just the one end -- whether neg is film or paper. Which is to
 say, even as small as 8x10 inches two register marks were NOT ENOUGH!

Hi Judy,

Use 2 sides then. There is another way that I sometimes use on negative with
clear border. It occurrred to me that you could use it on paper negative too.
You don't even need to tape the paper negative to acetate or whatever. You
simply tape a few small pieces on black electrical tape around the border of
the print (I use 4), then use a hole punch to punch the tape. When you make
the print, these will come out as clear area with black (or whatever color)
dots, and you can use these holes for registration.

The paper negative itself doesn't change size that much, so it should work.

<< This
 may in part be because working that small I tend to use a lighter, hence
 wigglier paper -- >>

I am not if you meant the paper for the paper negative or the paper for the
final print. If the paper for the final print shrink or change size, then
there is nothing we can do even if the paper negative has proper registration
mark. Isn't it so? Then we are back to register-from-center or try-our-best
approach. In that case both the acetate method or the hole-punch method above
should work, but since we cannot be perfect in this case, it seems like
almost any method (like a few drawing pencil lines from the paper negative to
the printing paper) will work too. :-)

Dave S