Re: BTZS tubes

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/02/01-09:38:16 PM Z

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Nelson Goforth wrote:

> One teacher at my school uses something not unlike the 'brush' development
> that Judy mentioned. It uses a glass or plexiglass rod to move developer
> over the emulsion.

Oh my oh my, that's VERY unlike the "brush" development, in fact strikes
me as refusal to do something the easy way, and/or styled after the roller
bars used to be used to test film in labs, maybe still is, if anyone makes
film -- they had a drop in the tray just the size of the film, and ran a
rod over it supported by ledges on all sides.

As far as getting the hands wet, PULEEZE -- you HAVE heard of gloves !
What I wonder about is only going in one direction, say left to right. I
used an out of date WIDE static master, also wide nylon brush from the
paint store, think also foam applicator 3" is fine, almost anything -- but
hunch is you're better off going rows (not in one sweep) AND crossing
--first cover the area left to right, then front to back, then left to
right, etc.

You have to disturb the laminar layer (which not being disturbed is the
potential problem with BZT & why UPENDING every minute or so solves that
problem) and brushing about 3" in many rows both directions I'd GUESS does
that better than big sweeps when you or I are doing it by hand.

However laying it on a plexi sheet for lifting in & out of solutions
sounds terrific. Solve a lot of problems (if it works, of course).

Judy