Re: registering paper negatives

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 02/02/01-11:49:48 PM Z

Dear Judy,

My approach (for registering film negatives to prints) may be worth trying.

I make enlarged negatives with 1/2" wide, clear borders. I then affix 1/2"
red litho tape onto the borders. On one edge, I punch 1/4" holes, using a
two-hole punch - these holes are for registering the negative to the print
(which is also punched), using Bregman pins. Then I punch two more holes,
one in each of the opposite corners of the negative border. These holes
will print out as maximum density on the print, and are helpful for
re-registration (more on this later). (NOTE: If I'm dealing with CMY
separations, I visually register all the negs on a light box, tape them
together and punch them all at once). The next step is to cut a window
slightly smaller than the outside dimension of the negative in a Baseline
Masking Sheet (ruled 'goldenrod' type paper). If I'm dealing with a 16x20"
neg, I use a 20x24" masking sheet. Now the negative is centered in the
masking sheet window and taped in place using Scotch "Magic" tape. Now I'm
ready to print.

The paper I'm printing onto is slightly smaller than the masking sheet, but
larger than the negative. The red litho tape borders and masking sheet
provide a clean white border to the printed image, and two dark
'registration dots' near the outside edge of the image.

Most of my printing is either cyanotype/gum or multiple gum, so accurate
re-registration is very important. Having used Bregman pins to register one
edge of the negative to the print, re-registration should, in theory, be
simple. But it rarely is, due to variations in the print's dimension,
caused by fluctuations in relative humidity. After the first printing, when
the print has been recoated and the negative reattached with the Bregman
pins, the two registration dots are often misaligned in relation to the
holes in the negative's border. Now the trick is to either 'shrink' or
'expand' the print until registration is perfect. Use a hairdryer against
the back of the print to shrink it. Use a barely damp sponge to moisten the
back side of the print if it needs expansion. Once the printed registration
dots match the holes in the negative, throw it in the vacuum frame and make
the exposure.

Using the method described, I routinely make large gum prints with
exceptional clarity and detail.

Bregman pins, Baseline Masking Sheets (or Goldenrod paper), and red litho
tape can be obtained from printer-supply dealers. Red litho tape and Scotch
Magic tape should not create the sticky mess you've experienced with other
tapes. If tape adhesive does cause a mess, it can be easily removed with
laquer thinner or similar solvents, without harming the negative.

I can understand your desire to utilize the full negative area available.
But, in my experience, it is very difficult dealing with negatives that have
a very narrow border. Better to have a 1/2" wide clear border that allows
masking and use of registration pins as detailed above.

HTH

Best regards,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming