Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Peter Fredrik (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Date: 02/05/01-03:42:30 PM Z

Dear Jeffrey,

"Jeffrey D. Mathias" wrote:

> Peter Fredrik wrote:
> > ... I did some
> > tests a few years ago to see what happens to a piece of rag paper when
> > submitted to a soaking and drying regime.
>
> Your measurements seemed to only evaluate a single dimension of the
> paper. Most papers have a "grain" oriented in a certain direction.
> Have you measured changes both in the direction of the grain and
> perpendicular to the grain. I suspect that for many papers these
> changes will differ perhaps akin to what Judy reported with a paper only
> shrinking in one of its dimensions.

Yes I did only evaluate in one direction but this did not seem to make any
difference to the final results I got from the tests on paper from
differing sources, as I had no way of knowing which way the grain was
running, but they all except b) gave similar results.

My mentor Jane Reece who directs a paper mill and book art facility where
we conduct our School of temperaprint sessions and who has spent her life
paper making ,put 's it this way to me there are basically three methods
of paper production. The system which is used to make normal run of the
mill paper that works a continuous web principle this method gives a strong
grain orientation in one direction. However we seldom use this material
for our phot/alt print making
Then there is the traditional methods where the pulp is deposited into tray
in a random distribution this method has been derived from the classical
japanese techniques of paper making. This paper has no grain direction,
however it is expensive and hard to find ,.And then thirdly we have the
mould made papers which are a kind of compromise between the web method
and classical. It seems the pulp is jiggled whilst passing along a purpose
built web to give a paper which has only a slight direction. This method is
used to furnish water-colour and other graphic arts papers in other words
the papers most used by us. I think we can discount these small changes a
greater problem lies with relative humidity which it seems expands and
contracts to a greater extent. I have yet to do practical tests that define
these parameter's.

Pete