Re: QUESTIONS for Dave R,. Re: registering paper negatives

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 02/06/01-08:41:36 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Dave Rose wrote:
>
> > As for taping the neg to the paper.... "been there, done that"..... the
> > registration pins are much easier, faster, and produce better results.
>
> Yes, I could see that *assuming* you've gotten the register right to begin
> with, the pins around the sides might well hold in position better. But
> maybe not better than Pete's tape-onto-big-plastic method ??? ???? Also,
> did you tape all around or one side only?

Dear Judy,

Actually, the pins are not used "around the sides".

First step is to use the two-hole punch to make holes in the masked border
on the 'North' edge of the negative. These are the only holes (on the
negative) used for registration pins. Two more holes are punched into the
negative's border - one in the 'Southwest' corner, the other in the
'Southeast corner'. (These two holes print as full-density dots on the
print, and are used to ensure good re-registration for subsequent
printings). Then the paper is punched ('North' edge) with the two-hole
punch, creating holes for the registration pins.

The registration pins hold the negative to print, and the first exposure is
made. For the second, and subsequent printings, merely attaching the
negative and print together with the pins ensures perfect registration,
especially near the 'North' end of the image. Due to shrinkage or expansion
of the paper (from changes in relative humidity), the SE and SW corner
'printed dots' may not realign perfectly with the punched holes in the
negative border. That's when I do either a gently drying of the print with
a hairdryer, or slightly moisten the backside of the print to alter the
print's dimensions as needed.

When I did use the 'tape negative to print' method, I taped along two or
more edges. I found this method cumbersome, and was unable to acheive the
quality that I now realize, using registration pins.

Best regards,
Dave in Wyoming