Re: Saving JPEG's for Web use?

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/07/01-06:55:46 AM Z

Dave Rose wrote:
> I'm planning to construct a website loaded with many photos. ...

One other thing. You may consider loading a small thumbnail image as
well as the regular size image to your web site. I have found it more
efficient to just make my own thumbnail rather than automatically
generating one with the file (this is simple to do with the Hemera
NetGraphics Optimizer). Also the thumbnail may be optimized to a lower
level (being small and hard to see anyway) which cannot be done if
automatic. Check out my web site portfolios for example.

Also the progressive download will be larger and take more total time
which could be a disadvantage. At time I find the progressive annoying
as it is sometime hard to tell if the image has fully downloaded at at
its best.

D. E. Adin wrote:
> I was told that 72dpi is all the net can handle and not to waste "bandwidth"
> and time . . . .

You may have been told incorrectly. 72 ppi is what a monitor will
display. Any more information than that required for the size of the
image is thrown out. (The final size on screen is the image size that
can be set in the hmtl image property box. For screen display, the file
size should not be larger than what is set or space of the server and
time to download will be wasted.) If the image is intended for printing
it should have a higher ppi (of course this makes the file larger and
the download time longer).

In other words, the net will handle more, but why waste it
unnecessarily.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/