Re: Starch sizing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/08/01-01:56:31 AM Z

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Joe Portale wrote:

> Yes,
>
> Don't do it. It seems that it would work, but I have seen my own images and
> those of students that have had some problems with blemishes and weird
> things growing on the print. There is no way to add things like formalin or
> other presevatives to the spray stuff. If you need a quick and dirty sizing
> method, have at it. If you need your stuff to last, I would stay away from
> it.

The spray starch I've used, aside from what Joe says, also turned the
paper base tan after a few years. Plus, every year the manufacturers
think up weirder stuff to put in everything... and do not send you an
announcement when they do weirder. (Not to mention the perfume.)

But what do you have in mind? Almost every paper I've used for VDB &
cyano does better with no size added, often MUCH better -- assuming you're
not hot-air drying.

Judy