Re: Pyro shelf life?

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 02/12/01-04:11:44 AM Z

Pyrogallol by itself in an acidic solution has excellent shelf life. The
PMK stock solutions have excellent shelf life. If Hutchings says ten years
then it is probably that long. I kept a batch of PMK that I mixed from the
raw chemicals for over three years and the dilutedd developer was working
as good at the end as when fresh. I would not trust the pre-mixed kits to
have the same stability, though they may.

Rollo Pyro (ABC+) is a horse of another color because stock solution A
contains ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid in combination with pyrogallol and
other reducing agents can accelerate oxidation and cause the developer to
go bad. I mentioned this possibility several years ago right after B&S
started distributing Rollo Pyro and noted it again in my article on Pyro
that appeared last year in Post Factory Photography. There have been a
number of posts on this list and on the newsgroups that suggest that Rollo
Pyro is indeed much less stable than PMK.

So how long will stock solution A of Rollo Pyro last before oxidation
causes it to go bad? I really don't know but personally would not trust it
for more than about three months. Perhaps others have experience which
indicates that it will last longer?

Sandy King