Re: Print drying - was: preshrink

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/13/01-02:29:14 PM Z

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Sam Wang wrote:

> >I regularly dry my images when freshly coated in front of a fan, without
> >heat, however. Generally, it should come as no surprise that I find it
> >useful to stick as much to a set up routine as possible: fixed drying times
> >(10 minutes in front of the fan at an RH of about 50 %), observation of RH
> >and temperature. By the way, I remember at the beginning of my experiments
> >with multiple coating, I dried a paper with the help on silica gel. It
> >permanently shrunk out of registration.

I'm wondering if you dried with silica gel BEFORE THE FIRST COAT if that
might shrink it up tight once & for all?
> Enough guess work. Anyone with ACTUAL experiences please step in -
> what about a drying cabinet for coated alt prints?

You'd probably still have to time the time in the cabinet. Also, in the
5 minutes it takes to coat in a different RH space -- KAPOW !

Stephen Livick has (I understand) total RH controlled studio, something
like 157 air conditioners & humidifiers. Maybe his studio IS his drying
cabinet.

Judy