RE: Print drying - was: preshrink

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: 02/13/01-12:53:04 PM Z

>From my experience, paper dimension always has to be considered relative to
the humidity of the air in which it is being measured. As I print large
(20"x24") gum prints using four or more coats, I have dealt with the
registration issue by adjusting the humidity of the paper. When I am in a
hurry, I sometimes hang a print over the wood stove in the studio. The
rapid drying and excessive heat causes the paper to shrink to a far larger
degree than if left elsewhere in the room. However, moving it into my
darkroom, with its higher humidity, returns it to a condition in which it
can be made ready for another coat.

BTW, drying a print over a wood stove belongs in the "Don't Try This at
Home, Dept." If too much heat is used, the paper can be "warped" to the
point where it is ruined. And, even though far more of my prints wind up
combusting INSIDE the stove, there is always that possibility.