Re: Print drying - was: preshrink

From: Sam Wang (stwang@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/13/01-11:03:43 AM Z

>I regularly dry my images when freshly coated in front of a fan, without
>heat, however. Generally, it should come as no surprise that I find it
>useful to stick as much to a set up routine as possible: fixed drying times
>(10 minutes in front of the fan at an RH of about 50 %), observation of RH
>and temperature. By the way, I remember at the beginning of my experiments
>with multiple coating, I dried a paper with the help on silica gel. It
>permanently shrunk out of registration.
>For me, exact registration is one of the most critical matters, and though
>I try to take great care, I still feel not guarded against nasty surprises.
>
>Lukas

Hi Lukas,

Do you think the silica gel dried the paper too much or too fast? or both?

With silver gelatin prints, I have found that the key to prevent
excessive curl is to slow down drying. Apparently the rate of drying
does affect the rate of shrinkage, and that it is difficult to dry
evenly in low humidity environment.

Enough guess work. Anyone with ACTUAL experiences please step in -
what about a drying cabinet for coated alt prints?

Thanks.

Sam Wang