Re: pot. ox.

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 02/13/01-07:51:02 PM Z

Hello David,

Yes, potassium oxalate does last for a long time. I have met people that
have used the same PO for years. Simple add some fresh stuff to it when the
level gets too low. I don't remember who told me this but, some printers
will actually add a couple of mls of the metal solution to help "ripen" the
PO. The PO that is sitting in my darkroom is two years old, it is a deep
tan color. I think that it works better as metal is dispersed into the
solution.

As for your zia question, it is best to let any paper that you hand coat sit
for a time. This allows the solutions to be drawn into the paper. Two
minutes is a bit short, five to ten minutes is more like it.

Good luck,

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ

> In the "New Platinum Print" book it stats that pot. ox. last a
considerable length of time (within reason) and you just add new
> developer over time to make up for lost developer.
> When I make a new batch of pot. ox. and start a printing session, after
the session the developer has a dingy color to it. The >developer seems to
work when it is used again and I have added 25% new developer to the mix.
> Is this normal or would I be better off making new developer for each
session?

> Another question: for a ziatype before surface drying I let it rest for 2
minutes so it can soak into the paper, is this also a good idea in the DOP.
Arches is the paper that I use.