Re: Print drying - was: preshrink

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/17/01-11:51:27 AM Z

Sam Wang wrote:

>> I regularly dry my images when freshly coated in front of a fan, without
>> heat, however. Generally, it should come as no surprise that I find it
>> useful to stick as much to a set up routine as possible: fixed drying
>> times
>> (10 minutes in front of the fan at an RH of about 50 %), observation
>> of RH
>> and temperature. By the way, I remember at the beginning of my
>> experiments
>> with multiple coating, I dried a paper with the help on silica gel. It
>> permanently shrunk out of registration.
>> For me, exact registration is one of the most critical matters, and
>> though
>> I try to take great care, I still feel not guarded against nasty
>> surprises.
>>
>> Lukas
>

> Hi Lukas,
>
> Do you think the silica gel dried the paper too much or too fast? or both?
>
> With silver gelatin prints, I have found that the key to prevent
> excessive curl is to slow down drying. Apparently the rate of drying
> does affect the rate of shrinkage, and that it is difficult to dry
> evenly in low humidity environment.
>
> Enough guess work. Anyone with ACTUAL experiences please step in - what
> about a drying cabinet for coated alt prints?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sam Wang

Sam, I do use a drying cabinet and a humidifying cabinet
with my alt work. At this time, I don't do multiple coating
and exposure so I don't worry about shrinkage as an exposure
registration problem. I have had some customers voice
concerns that the print didn't measure an exact size when
finished. This due to shrikage of the paper on Bein Fang 360
on a 19x24 inch piece of paper. The images lost about an
1/4", but some only 1/8".

When I first started working with Bein Fang 360 I did have
some problems with uneven drying. We tried to complete
drying under weight with a very slightly damp print. If the
weight was not completely even, the paper would reflect this
and what was once a an image with squared corners became a mess.

EJ Neilsen

--
Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9