RE: home depot lacquer

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/17/01-04:20:12 PM Z

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, ken watson wrote:

> I do not remember the exact ingredients in the Home depot stuff but it does
> not have Ether in it, they use some other solvent. I also can not remember
> if it has alcohol because what I do remember from reading the ingredients
> was a concern that there was not anything that would attract water. A
> requirement to get silver( from the silver nitrate solution) to the bromides
> and iodides. With out getting the silver into the film, and only having it
> on the surface, it will just wash off in the fix.
>
> As for smell or getting faint. I would expect it to smell greatly. As with
> all solvents ventilation would be advisable.
>
> This is also the stuff the fireworks guys paint on around their fuse to keep
> things waterproof.

It sounds like handy stuff to have, and worth a try -- I'm thinking of top
coat, not substrate for silver...

I like your ode to home depot, BTW, wish I had one nearby. Meanwhile, we
do pick up a lot of that stuff on the street ("Sidewalk Excahnge").
Yesterday someone lugged home heavy duty stretcher for painting minus the
painting, about 3 by 4 feet. If anyone wants to come by and pick it up --
e-mail me offlist. Otherwise I'll have to put it back on the street.

Judy