Re: Salt prints??

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 02/21/01-04:01:56 AM Z

>What I really mean is probably: is the process really worth the effort, or
>is the main attraction its antiquity? I would be grateful for any input.

I once bought a book of Nadar photographs (Schirmer & Mosel) and was
fascinated, among others things, by the technical quality of the
images. Nadar used for the most part paper negatives and simple POP,
later albumen POP. If you'd like to know what POP or salt prints are
capable of, I suggest that you flick through a book like this.

>Second, is sodium chloride okay for salting (as said in "spirits of salts")?

Yes, it is. You can use the kind sold in the shop around the corner.
Some suggested that you can control gradation by varying proportions
of sodium and ammonium chloride. (I have not tried this myself.)

I found that Liam Lawless's recipe for POP (in Judy's most recent
PostFactory) works fabulously (many thanks, Liam!). IMHO POP is
easier, cheaper and more consistent than salted paper. (By "POP"
here I mean a paper coated with a mixture of salt and silver nitrate
in water or gelatine -- as opposed to salted paper where you first
coat with a salt solution and then with silver nitrate.)

André