7x17 negs in pyro -- Jobo success?

From: Michael Mutmansky (psu4ever@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 02/27/01-12:12:02 PM Z

Hello group,

I have searched the archives and noticed that about two years ago, there
was discussion about pyro in a JOBO processor with the print tanks.
Carl had mentioned that he does his 7x17's in trays because he was
unable to get even development in the JOBO, and Kerik is using home made
BTZS style tubes for his 7x17 with success. I'm processing for platinum
printing, and try for a DR of 1.4 in my D-76 negs.

I have a Jobo and been having no problem with uneven development with
Tri-X in D-76 in the print tubes for my 7x17 negatives. Now I want to
try pyro, so I thought I would revisit the question one more time:

Is anyone having success using Pyro (ABC+ or variants) in a Jobo
processor? I know using the Expert Drum will work for 8x10 and smaller,
but my application is for the somewhat largish 7x17. Has anyone tried
using a large frosted mylar insert with notches to hold the negs in
place? I thought that may be a suitable method to eliminate the
unevenness from the back of the film, and still allow the negative to
get the antihalation dies removed.

If nobody seems to have had any luck, I'll probably not bother trying
it, and I'll do PMK in a tray.

Thanks,

---Michael